Covering Testimony: Vian Elisabeth
Name: Vian Elisabeth | Age: 23 | Location: Norway | Starting Covering: Summer 2014
1) Introduce yourself to our readers.
I am a Norwegian, the oldest of my siblings. I work as a teacher and assistant at a Christian school, while studying Bible Translation. I came to know the Lord in the end of 2013, and since then I’ve had only one goal in life – to live a life set apart for the Lord and His work. I love reading missionary biographies, playing the piano, singing, doing embroidery, knitting, as well as cooking!
2) Where do you attend church? Tell us a little bit about it. Do others practice headcovering there?
I attend a conservative Lutheran congregation in Norway. It’s a wonderful congregation with many faithfull believers. A few other women there practice head covering, which is great.
3) What led you to start covering?
I’d never given headcovering much thought before. It was when I became a true Christian and read through the Bible for the first time with my “eyes opened” that the words of 1 Corinthians 11 stood out to me. The Bible convinced me, as well as reading that this has been the common Christian practice throughout history.
4) What was that first Sunday like when you showed up in a covering?
It was very much like any other Sunday, nobody seemed to think of it. But I have had people come up to me and say that they are happy to see the biblical practice of headcovering still being followed. That’s been an encouragement! Some children have also asked me why I’m “wearing that thing on my head”. It’s funny, when I tell them what it is they usually say it looks pretty. So my experience has mostly been very positive.
5) Tell us about the practice of head covering in Norway. Are there any denominations that practice it? Is it typical to find even a few people that will cover in a typical evangelical church?
I can’t say I know of any Churches where headcovering is the common practice, but it’s normal to find a few women covering in some evangelical Churches.
6) What counsel can you give to women that do not cover out of fear?
The Bible tells women to be fearless, to trust in the Lord. If you are convinced that this is what Scripture says, just do it. That’s been a motto for me at any time when the Lord’s command seems irksome or hard – just obey, and He will take care of the rest. I would also recommend not doing it in defiance, that’s like putting “a gold ring on a pig’s snout”.
7) What would you say is the best and the most difficult aspect about head covering?
I think it’s a good reminder for me to stay humble. When I’m using a head covering I am reminded that I am a woman, with all that entails. It helps me keep humble too. The most difficult aspect is meeting people who were in my life before I was a Christian while I’m wearing the covering. I’m a bit shy so I don’t like the attention that brings. At the same time; it might be a visible witness to what the Lord has done in my heart.
8) What kind of covering(s) do you use? Where did you get them?
I’ve bought mine at Garlands of Grace. They are very feminine. I’ve been using different types, right now I will be using a snood.