Covering Testimony: Desiree Hausam
|Name: Desiree Hausam||Age: 35||Location: Utah, USA||Started Covering: Dec 2009|
1) Introduce yourself to our readers.
Hello! My name is Desiree Hausam. I am a homeschooling mom of 7, with kids ages 13 down through 4 months. Spare time is not something I have much of in this season of my life, but when there is, I enjoy writing, reading, cooking, hiking, and a good kettlebell workout.
2) Where do you attend church? Tell us a little bit about it.
We are members of Christ Presbyterian Church in Salt Lake City, UT. It is a congregation of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church. CPC has been in the Salt Lake area for about 15 years, and we are grateful for their work in our predominantly Mormon region.
3) What led you to start covering?
Several years ago, a friend of mine began to wear a hat in worship. At first I thought it was a fashion thing, but as weeks went by, I realized that she had begun to practice covering in worship. My husband and I had examined the issue some time prior to that and had concluded that the covering mentioned in I Corinthians was the hair. My friend’s practice recalled the subject to mind and we studied the matter more carefully the second time around. We became convinced that the best interpretation of I Corinthians 11 is that the covering is still required and that it is a cloth covering. One resource we found very useful was Brian Schwertley’s article.
4) At what times do you cover?
My practice is to cover in public worship.
5) What was that first Sunday like when you showed up in a covering? Did anyone say anything to you about it?
6) What counsel can you give to women that do not cover out of fear?
Study. Be certain of God’s Word on the topic. If you are fully persuaded as I am that covering in worship is required by the Bible, then you can stand on that. Whether you have a good experience with the change like I did, or if you have a church, friends, or family that are offended by the practice, it is far better to dare offend men through obedience to God, than to offend God.
7) I see in your picture that your girls also wear coverings. When did you start them out and how did you approach it?
8) What kind of covering(s) do you use? Where did you get them?
I usually wear a short to medium tie-on scarf. I get them from Garlands of Grace…I love how they are specially made to not slip off. Because, as I mentioned, I worry about that. 🙂